Saturday 12 July 2008

ToF Tidbits - 12 July 08

Just a few bits and pieces that I think are worth mentioning:

This past week saw the Newmarket July meeting. I had three runners at the meet; Spitfire, Alfathaa and Unleashed. I was home on Wednesday afternoon to see Spitfire take 2nd in the Toteswinger Handicap, a class 2 heritage handicap over 6 furlongs. He had shown decent enough form in the past and had Frankie Dettori on board. I put my money where my mouth is and put some each way money on him. Good for me! He was 2nd by only 3/4 of a length.
It was Alfathaa and Unleashed's turns on Thursday. I wanted to have a bet on them both, as they both looked to have great chances, but I completely forgot! Unleashed ran in the Bahrain Trophy, a listed event over 1m5f. He too lost by 3/4 lengths, but was 4th.
Alfathaa ran in the 4.20, a class 2 conditions stakes over a mile. I have always had a lot of faith in Alfathaa and I believe he is still improving. He led for long time, racing keenly, but was beaten by Generous Thought to finish second by, you guessed it, 3/4 lengths.

2yo filly Acquiesced made her debut on 3 July in a maiden at Newbury. She ran an excellent 2nd losing only by a short head to Starlarks. She is owned by Mrs J Wood and trained by Richard Hannon.

Silver Moose broke the $200k mark in prize money yesterday when he won an allowance optional claiming race at Monmouth Park. He is owned and trained by Edwin Thomas Broome. Congrats to him. Silver Moose is one of my favourites :o)

Eastern Anthem ran 3rd today in the John Smith's Extra Smooth Silver Cup Stakes, a listed handicap over 1m6f at York, behind Yellowstone and Gull Wing. I really quite fancied him in this and he came off a good performance in a listed event at Goodwood last month. It was the first time he tried this distance and it looked like it was just a furlong too far for him, especially in the heavy ground. A decent performance, but he should do better next time out. He will win a listed event in time.

Callwood Dancer is about to try to equal her performance in the Nassau S when she takes onfive of her Nassau rivals in a 7-horse field in the $300k Dance Smartly (G2) at Woodbine. She beat Quiet Jungle by a nose last time, but today Quiet Jungle has a 8 pound advantage, Callwood Dancer carrying 121 to Quiet Jungle's 113. I know she can do it. C'mon girl!

No comments: